Ask NASCA District Employee Onboarding & Exiting Procedures

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cindy Pulse

As I am transitioning to my new position as Conservation District Program Coordinator at the Kansas Department of Agriculture, Division of Conservation (DOC), I am still tied to my previous position as the DOC Administrative Coordinator. Tying up loose ends and training the new individual thoroughly is extremely important to me.

I have already had the opportunity to train a few new conservation district managers both in person and virtually over the past few months, following the previous Coordinator’s training procedures. I am finding that there seems to be so much more I would like to do and add as part of the procedures for both exiting district managers, the new ones just getting started, as well as the board supervisors.

I currently do not have any sort of exiting and / or training checklists or guidelines to follow, but feel like these would be very beneficial to all individuals involved (district managers and the supervisors). I am open to any suggestions, templates, ideas, etc. that you all use for your onboarding and exiting district employees to use as a basis for my onboarding and exiting strategies. Any information will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

#9927 Reply
      Justin Caudill

Hello Cindy,

I fill a similar position for the Wyoming Department of Agriculture. Here in Wyoming we have a strong relationship with the Wyo. Association of Conservation Districts and provide a yearly joint training and certification program for staff and supervisors needing/wanting the training. If you would like more information related to what we do here my email is justin.caudill@wyo.gov, and phone is 307-350-5480.

#9928 Reply
        Christy Roman

Cindy,

We have some of these documents developed for Michigan. I am not sure how to attach documents in this system. I am glad to email somethings. Please send me a note at romanc@michigan.gov

Christy Roman
          Regional Coordinator
          Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development

#9932 Reply
          Ray Ledgerwood

Hi Cindy,

Attached is a training checklist for District Managers.
            Shana Joy may have a revised one.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Aaron. Reason: added attachment
            #9935 Reply
            Blair Gordon

Hi Cindy,

In Virginia, we have a strong relationship with our soil and water conservation districts and the Va. Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts (VASWCD). In partnership with the VASWCD, we help facilitate several training opportunities through out the year for district managers and administrative staff. We also provide training for district directors, who are locally elected officials and ultimately are held responsible for all district actions including staff oversight.

Under normal circumstances, we work with the VASWCD to help facilitate three main training events through out the year; one in spring that focuses specifically on administrative and operational issues (HR topics, book keeping training, etc.), one in the summer that is a joint training for administrative, environmental education, and technical topics, and training at the VASWCD Annual meeting every December (administrative/management topics are always offered during the breakout sessions). VASWCD and DCR have also partnered to create a Personnel Management Guide which has a section all about best management practices for on-boarding and training new employees. Some of the information in this guide might be helpful for you. It can be found on the VASWCD website, https://vaswcd.org/personnel-management.

Although our partnership with VASWCD is strong and we partner on many training events, DCR does have required training for district staff and directors as part the grant agreements we hold with each soil and water conservation district. The list of required and suggested training can be found on our website at https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/soil-and-water/document/cd-tng-mand-rec.pdf.

If you have any questions or want to talk about these resources further, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Thank you,
              Blair Gordon
              SWCD Liaison
              Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation
              blair.gordon@dcr.virginia.gov

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            Reply To: District Employee Onboarding & Exiting Procedures
            Your information: