Ask NASCA Gender neutral language for oaths

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jackie Thomas

I am working on changing the language of our oaths for the supervisors to be gender-neutral. Do you have any examples of affirmations or oaths once supervisors are elected or appointed to an office?

#12870 Reply
      Tom Gordon

Our oath of office doesn’t reference gender:

STATE OF MAINE
        MAINE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, CONSERVATION & FORESTRY

OATH OF OFFICE – SUPERVISOR

I, _____________ , do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Maine, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Supervisor of _______________ Soil and Water Conservation District, upon which I am about to enter.

Supervisor Signature

State of Maine

County of , ss. , 20__
        Subscribed and sworn to on the date above written,

Before me

Notary Public

#12871 Reply
        Johnna McHugh

Our oath is all I statements, so it doesn’t reference gender.

I do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution and Statutes of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the Office of Conservation District Supervisor upon which I am now about to enter.

#12872 Reply
          Alisha Mulkey

Same in Maryland. Our oaths use “I” statements only, but happy to share a copy if interested.

#12873 Reply
            Jocelyn Henderson

Our oath is gender neutral as well.

I, ____________________________________________ , do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will, to the best of my ability, faithfully discharge the duties of Supervisor of the ______________________ Soil and Water Conservation District to which I have been elected (or appointed), and preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of Ohio and of the United States of America, so help me God.”

#12875 Reply
              Delwyne Trefz

The oath we provide Districts is very similar to the one provided by Maine, above. Here it is–
                IDAHO CONSERVATION DISTRICT SUPERVISOR
                OATH OF OFFICE

I, , do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of the State of Idaho, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Supervisor of the Conservation District according to the best of my ability.

Signature:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              Reply To: Gender neutral language for oaths
              Your information: